Meat pies or sambousek


Who doesn't love the mezze style of meals, the congeniality of sharing food, the family sunday lunches... Well, I love mezze, and I love pies, meat pies, spinach pies, cheese pies... Anything with dough, I simply love it. This recipe is famous in the middle east especially in Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, and Palestine. I grew up eating those miniature scrumptious pies when I was in Lebanon. Today, it's Sunday, and I wanted to make a Lebanese mezze lunch; there was the famous hummus dip, the Moutabal creamy aubergine puree, the tabbouleh salad, the kefta skewers, and of course those little meat pies. I love to eat them with hummus. I am sure you will love them!!

Ingredients: (around 45 pies):
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
salt
1 tsp yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm whole milk
Filling: 
1/2 lb ground beef or lamb
1 large onion finely chopped
a handful of pine nuts
black pepper
salt
1/2 tsp all-spices
2 tbsp oil

Put the flour in a deep bowl, add the salt and yeast. Add the oil and the egg and rib with fingertips. Add milk a little at a time, mixing thoroughly until dough is binding. Cover the dough with a towel and let rest in a warm place for one hour.

Filling: Heat the 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan, then saute the onions until transparent. Add the pine nuts then the ground meat and brown. Season with salt and spices. Allow to cool.

Roll the dough about 1/16 inch thick and cut circles about 3 inch diameter.
Place a tsp of meat in the center of each round and seal then twist the edges.
Preheat the oven at 350ºF and bake the meat pies until golden brown. You can also deep fry the samboosak on both sides. Serve hot.



Rissoles à la viande ou Sambousek

Ingrédients: (environ 45 pies)
330 g farine
60 ml huile végétale
1 œuf
1 càc de levure boulangère
200 ml lait entier tiède
Farce: 
200 g de viande hachée
1 oignon finement haché
une poignée de pignons de pin
poivre
sel
1/2 càc quatre-épices
2 càs huile

Versez la farine, le sel et la levure dans un grand bol. Ajoutez l'huile et l'œuf et bien manier avec les doigts. Versez peu à peu le lait en mélangeant bien jusqu'à ce que la pâte soit homogène. Laisser reposer pendant une heure environ sous un torchon humide.

Farce: Faites chauffer les 2 càs d'huile dans une poêle, et faites revenir les oignons jusqu'à ce qu'ils soient transparents. Ajoutez les pignons puis la viande hachée et faites cuire. Ajoutez sel, poivre et épices. Laissez refroidir.

Étaler au rouleau la pâte sur un plan de travail fariné de façon à la rabaisser à 2 ou 3 mm puis découpez-la en disques de 8 cm de diamètre.

Déposez 1 càc de farce au centre de chaque disque, replier chaque disque sur lui-même pour former des chaussons. Appuyez pour bien souder les bords.
Préchauffez le four à 180ºC et enfournez les rissoles jusqu'à ce qu'ils soient dorés. Vous pouvez aussi les faire frire. Servez chaud.

Comments

  1. oh yep...who doesn't! These sambousek beckon me to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...looks fabulous! Look like our curry puffs back home. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This look so perfect. You are really amazing. My meat pies never have looked so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look really good. I love the pastry. Look so soft and danty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this so much! Thanks for the recipe and your sambousek looks just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy-looking; I have to make them someday! Guess I am just too lazy. My teta used to make them all the time but she used a different dough recipe and fried them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing better than a savory meat pie. These look wonderful.Will have to try them very soon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog... and I love it. These look to die for. Wonderful photos to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must make these. They look incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ils sont très mignons ces petits chaussons!
    Ils doivent etre délicieux!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cherine, Everything on your blog looks so appealing I want to jump up and make it all! I love mezze's too and yours look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a mezze meal too, and the golden crust on these pies looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have a similar treat in Malaysia that is a national obsession - curry puffs. These look wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Il faut absolument que tu reviennes. J'ai déjà faim en regardant tes nouvelles photos.
    Your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do love sambousek! These look absolutely delectable! If only it wasn't 1 am and I didn't have to be up early-well then i'd be in the kitchen making them. off to sleep on a gurgling stomach :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look so good! I always love a savory pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look very tasty. Savory pastries and pies are always so good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look delicious and I'm making them now. I assume you just add the egg to the dough? You don't say.

    DF

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes you should add the egg in the dough, anyway, I fixed it, thanks for telling me!! Let me know how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I tried these out and they were delicious!! I baked mine at 375F for about 13 - 15 mins.. they came out nice and golden brown. Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made the dough in my bread machine and it came out perfect. Love it. Thanks for the recipe.
    Thanks,Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, looks deeeeeeelicious. And is being immediately added to my list of To Do's

    Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This recipe originate from the middle east. My grand ma use to make them all the time specially in the holidays. She use to bake them far less than frying them as in Mexico. She use to stuff them with ground meat, Chicken or cheese. It is like johnnycake you can take them to work or school or when you travel. It is an easy meal without a mess or washing a dish. I had see in the European countries they do them with mash potato, diced vegetables or even with broccoli or spinach or stuff them with jam or chutney. I do them often too as my grand ma to please my family. Try to make and enjoy them. They are easy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts