Greek Spinach Pie - Spanakopita


This is called Spanakopita in Greece. A spinach pie made with phyllo pastry. Spanakopita is my all-time favorite Greek dish. I've always been intimidated by working with the phyllo dough but since I used it many times to make homemade baklava, I got the hang of it and now I find it pretty easy. I remember the first time I had Spanakopita, I was invited to a brunch at a friend's house, her mother is the best Spanakopita maker. The rich combination of spinach and feta cheese coupled with layers of crispy golden phyllo makes this dish simply delicious and pretty.

Ingredients: 
12 sheets phyllo dough 
2 lbs kilo chopped spinach (fresh or frozen) 
1 cup feta, crumbled 
2 green onions, sliced 
2 tbsp fresh dill chopped 
2 tbsp parsley chopped 
salt 
pepper 
1 cup butter, melted 
3 eggs lightly beaten

Steam the chopped spinach, squeeze and drain them. Mix together the drained spinach, crumbled feta, onions, parsley, dill, eggs, salt and pepper. 
Lightly butter a baking pan, and lay 1 sheet of phyllo dough, brush with melted butter. Lay another sheet of phyllo dough on top, brush with melted butter, and repeat process with 4 more sheets of phyllo. Spread spinach mixture into pan. Layer the remaining sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with melted butter. Cut the pie and bake in a preheated oven at 350ºF (180ºC) 30 to 40 mn until golden brown. 



Feuilleté grec aux épinards - Spanakopita

Ingrédients: 
12 feuilles de filo 
1 kilo d'épinards hachés (frais ou surgelés) 
200 g de feta émietté 
2 oignons verts ciselés 
2 càs d'aneth frais ciselé 
2 càs de persil ciselé 
sel 
poivre 
150 g de beurre fondu 
3 œufs légèrement battus

Faites cuire les épinards hachés à la vapeur. Pressez-les pour extraire l'eau et bien égouttez. Mélanger les épinards hachés avec la feta, les oignons, le persil, l'aneth, les œufs, le sel et le poivre. Beurrez un moule et étalez au fond une feuille de pâte filo et badigeonnez-la de beurre fondu. Recommencer l'opération avec 5 feuilles de filo. Disposez la préparation aux épinards desssus. Recouvrir avec les feuilles de filo restantes en les badigeonnant l'une après l'autre de beurre fondu. Découpez la tarte et faites la cuire au four préchauffé à 180ºC 30 à 40 mn jusqu'à ce qu'elle soit dorée.

Comments

  1. I love greek food. Anything with spinach and feta has to taste wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, that looks great! I love greek food but I've never had Spanakopita before. Your baklava looked great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merci pour ton message, ton feuilleté est appétissant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! It's one of my favourite things, but I have never made it. Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! This sounds so easy and delicious I can hardly wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flaky crust on your pie looks delish!!!! Great minds hey??? Thx for stopping by, please call again...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chico, a well made Spanakopita, bravo to the pie and to the site, I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elle doit etre très bonne cette tourte!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful Greek pie! I would love a slice right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks so much for stopping by my blog! You've got so much good food here. I'm absolutely loving this version of spanikopita. Phyllo dough still makes me anxious but I need to get over my fears.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This spinach pie looks truly delicious! Excellent clicks too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks quite delicious and much easier to accomplish many of the Spanikopitas I've tried in the past. Thank you. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm... your Spanakopita looks spectacular! As we are dreaming to go on a summer vacation in Greece, this would be a perfect dish to make!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love spanakopita and your recipe sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooo... This is one of my favs!

    Btw, I'm loving your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous pie! Good job : )
    Spanakopita really is delicious.

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabuleu, elle a l'air déliceiuse cetet tarte j'adore !! Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spanakopita is one of my favorite dishes and this one looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your spanakopita looks divine! It's making me so hungry

    ReplyDelete
  20. Delicious and pretty would certainly be the way I describe this tasty classic. Well done :)!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts